http://www.openarchives.org/ore/logos/ore_logo_e_128.png Open Archives Initiative - Object Reuse and Exchange
OAI-OREOpen Archives Initiative Object Reuse and Exchange defines standards to identify and describe aggregations on the web to describe and. Taking a publication as an example, it mostly consists of multiple resources (publisher pdfPortable Document Format, supplementary material, metadata etc.), therefore what we 'see' as an publication is actually the aggregation of multiple resources.
Aggregations should be modelled in respect of the core foundations of the Web
- Resource, an item of interest.
- URIUniform Resource Identifier, a global identifier for a Resource.
- Link, a directed connection between two Resources.
Resource Map (ReM)
An information resource that describes an aggregation
RDFResource Description Framework Graph using name spaces:
- dc (http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/)
- dcterms (http://purl.org/dc/terms/)
- foaf (http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/)
- ore (http://www.openarchives.org/ore/terms/)
- owl (http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#)
- rdf (http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#)
- Improve interoperability
- Using a (soon?) standard for modelling our relations
- Detection and processing of relation information, within and outside eSciDocEnhanced Scientific Documentation
- Following the principles of Linked Data (share structured data on the Web)
- Addressing Cool URIUniform Resource Identifier and content negotiation
Possible new Features
- One step towards the 'research data continuum'? If we can model faces, ViRRVirtueller Raum Reichsrecht, PubManPublication Management data in ore, we can easily create new Aggregations containing data from different solutions.
- Visualize data with Foresite
- Java Library (for constructing, parsing, manipulating and serializing OAI-OREOpen Archives Initiative Object Reuse and Exchange Resource Maps. ATOM, RDFResource Description Framework/XMLExtensible Markup Language, N3, N-Triples, Turtle and RDFa)
- Foresite Explorer (Visualization of Relations)
- WordPress plug-in (creating Resource Maps for WordPress posts and pages)
The basic steps to integrate OAI-OREOpen Archives Initiative Object Reuse and Exchange to eSciDocEnhanced Scientific Documentation (regarding publication data for start) would be:
- Create mapping from eSciDocEnhanced Scientific Documentation Publication Item to ore
- Create mapping from ore to eSciDocEnhanced Scientific Documentation Publication Item
- Make sure that every resource has its own URIUniform Resource Identifier
- Expose oai_ore over OAI-PMHOpen Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting
- Implement http part
- Enable SWORDSimple Web-service Offering Repository Deposit deposit of ore data
OAI-OREOpen Archives Initiative Object Reuse and Exchange in use
This is just an extract of systems supporting OAI-OREOpen Archives Initiative Object Reuse and Exchange:
- FedoraFlexible Extensible Digital Object Repository Architecture
- Microsoft Zentity
- Oxford Research Archive
- Word Press