WAT:Create A Project Website
So you're a webmaster for a website that doesn't exist and your first task is to create it? There are several options of getting this done within the MPDLMax Planck Digital Library infrastructure.
- 1 Use Cases
- 2 Wordpress μ Blog
- 3 Colab Portal
- 4 Trac instance + Subversion repository
- 5 Web checkout of a Subversion repository
- 6 WAT:Tools
- 7 Validators
- Need a collaboration space on the web to work on a project application?
- Want to publish something like the sengbusch collection?
Wordpress μ Blog
Wordpress isn't only a blogging software. It can easily serve as CMSContent Management System. New blogs in our installation can be created by Lars and Robert, same goes for user accounts.
- relatively easy to change the layout, in particular because there are lots of themes to choose from.
- something like a "news" section is pretty much built-in - it's a blog after all.
- Interaction with the general public possible via comments.
- when it comes to support for collaboration
And The Ugly
ColabCollaboration Laboratory Portal
As you currently read this information, you already discovered the colab wiki. It is a publicly available installation of the mediawiki software. Everybody can register for an account and start to create new pages or to modify existing articles.
- probably the easiest way to publish "single pieces" of information
- layout is defined for complete installation
- very weak measures for access control
And The Ugly
Trac instance + Subversion repository
https://devtools.mpdl.mpg.de/projects/ Initial setup and user management can be done by Robert and André.
- very good support for collaboration, including relatively fine grained access control.
- relatively hard to change the layout.
And The Ugly
- Served via HTTPSHyperText Transfer Protocol Secured using a root certificate which isn't pre-installed in most browsers. Thus, not the first choice for public facing websites.
Web checkout of a Subversion repository
You can also maintain web pages manually (but assisted by version control) in a subversion repository which is checked out on a web server. Ask Robert for details.
- complete control over the site.
- suitable if the bulk of the site is made up by additional resources, i.e. the handmade pages serve merely as table-of-contents for a file-system full of other stuff.
- with power comes responsibility.
- web developer toolbar - an indispansable firefox plugin.
- Google webmaster tools