SWORD is a lightweight protocol for depositing content from one location to another, implemented by a profile of the Atom Publishing Protocol. The implementation of an corresponding interface is considered for PubMan in the context of the Peer project.
- Deposit metadata (+ files) to eSciDoc (SWORD server)
- Deposit metadata (+ files) from eSciDoc to other repositories (SWORD client)
- Edit/Delete existing eSciDoc items (SWORD server)
The discussion on implementation steps can be found here. A description of the SWORD Server implementation within the PubMan solution is available here.
"Rather than develop a new standard from scratch, SWORD choose to leverage the existing Atom Publishing Protocol (APP). APP is based on the HTTP transfer of Atom-formatted representations yet SWORD has focused on two key aspects of the protocol - the deposit of files, rather than Atom documents, and the extension mechanism for specifying additional deposit parameters."
|sword:collectionPolicy||Used for a human-readable description of collection policy. Include either a text description or a URI.|
|sword:treatment||Used for a human-readable statement about what treatment the deposited resource will receive||"Zip archives recognized as content packages are opened and the individual files contained in them are stored. All other files are stored as is." (Example from IntraLibrary)|
|sword:formatNamespace||Used to identify the content packaging types supported by this collection. SHOULD be a URI from SWORD-TYPES||SWORD-TYPES|
|sword:verbose||If a server has support for verbose output
(detailed description of internal processing).
|Yes or No|
|sword:level||level of compliance||Level 0: implementation of a minimal set of mandatory elements |
Level 1: implementation of the full set of extension elements and compliance with APP
|sword:mediation||If the the SWORD server supports on-behalf-deposits||Yes or No|
|sword:noOp||Is the POST a simulated deposit (For test purposes, no item should be created)||Yes or No|
|sword:version||Version of implemented protocol||1.3|
|sword:error||The description of the error can be found in the href attribute||
|sword:maxUploadSize||The maximum size (in kB) of package that can be uploaded to the SWORD service|
SWORD Service Document
- Example of a SWORD Service Document (IntraLibrary).
- Example of a Fedora SWORD Service Document
- Service description for PubMan
have been moved to talk page.
Repositories supporting SWORD deposit
- Biomedcentral's Open Repository
- SWORD presentation on OR08
- SWORD Profile
- SWORD JAVA Library
- Explanation and Examples
- The Atom Syndication Format
Exemplary use cases
- experiences in using SWORD for Facebook=> repository (ePrints) can be found here.
- depositing to supported repositories via SWORD is one functionality of PublicationList.org