Trip Report: Aleph SMUG DACH Meeting 2007
Participants: Erik Altmann, Anke Bruns, Robert Forkel (partly), Inga Overkamp
Date: 22/23 November 2007
After the official meeting it was decided to organize another collaborative meeting in June 2008 as a pre-conference to the 97. Bibliothekartag at the University of Mannheim.
Links and Resources
- Conference web site - please note that the conference program on the web page is an older version, the newest version is not yet online (23/11/2007).
- Conference slides
Session 1: AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris 500
Ronald Schmidt gave a summary of the IGeLUInternational Group of ExLibris Users meeting in Brno in September 2007.
Herr Matalla (D.A.CH) invited the D.A.CH members to contribute their requests for future developments in AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris.
Herr Koring (Ex Libris), leader of the Ex Libris customer support team about AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris upgrades and support: Ex Libris Germany aims at supporting less AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris versions at a time, so at the moment they are trying to bring most of their customers to upgrade to V18.
Customers should use the most recent version of the Upgrade Express (to be found on the server in Israel) unless they have already successfully tested an older version.
The future release policy is to bring out a version or major release every two years plus a minor release every six months containing new functionalities within a version, completed by monthly service packs containing bug fixes.
Inter Library Loan will be available in the old and the new "Web ILLInterlibrary Loan" version within V18. From V19 on (for us, V20) only the new ILLInterlibrary Loan will be available. It is recommended to upgrade the ILLInterlibrary Loan functions to the new Web ILLInterlibrary Loan already while in production with V18 in order not to have to do it in the upgrade process to V20.
V20 will be released for German speaking customers from 2009 on. In the future the German version will be part of the general release instead of being prepared after the general release of the version.
Dr. Torsten Schulz presented the structure and modules of the AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris standard package (containing one BIB, one ADM and three AUT libraries) as well as the add-ons available, e.g. ARCALEPH Reporting Center, OAIOpen Archives Initiative interface, X Server and ADAMALEPH Digital Asset Modul.
- pre-release testing of AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris 19 possible after 25.11.07
- Voyager is presently being developed along with AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris
Session 2: ALEPHIntegrated Library System by ExLibris 500 - Aktuelle Entwicklungen
Frau Bernhardt (BVBBibliotheksverbund Bayern) showed how the Normdateien (PNDPersonen Normdatei, GKDGemeinsame Körperschaftsdatei, SWDSchlagwort Datei) of the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek can be accessed online from an AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris client. My impression, however, was that the workflow is as yet a bit difficult and some issues about it have yet to be solved.
Herr Hupfer presented cataloging conventions developed by HBZHochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen to furnish catalogue records with entries in original CJK writing as well as the transcription. CJK entries can also be included in the search and browse indices. See also the page on Katalogisierung in Originalschrift on the HBZHochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen website.
Frau Dilber (BVBBibliotheksverbund Bayern) talked about how RVKRegensburger Verbund-Klassifikation (Regensburger Verbund-Klassifikation) is used in BVBBibliotheksverbund Bayern catalogue. Catalogue data in RVKRegensburger Verbund-Klassifikation are delivered approx. twice a year to BVBBibliotheksverbund Bayern and imported into BVBBibliotheksverbund Bayern AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris System. In RVKRegensburger Verbund-Klassifikation there are about 800.000 Records of which the BVBBibliotheksverbund Bayern uses about 250.000.
Talks about ADAMALEPH Digital Asset Modul and the HBZHochschulbibliothekszentrum des Landes Nordrhein-Westfalen interface to Non AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris Local System were postponed until after lunch.
Session 3: ALEPHIntegrated Library System by ExLibris 500 / DigiTool – Implementierungen in NRW
Status regarding catalog enrichment in hbz: 344.000 table of contents
Session 4: SFXOpenURL Link Resolver / MetaLib: Berichte und Anforderungen
Andreas Sabisch, SFXOpenURL Link Resolver-Knowledgebase - Questions/Problems
- no Nationallizenz packages in KBKoninklijke Bibliotheek (solution may be regional dataloader lists)
- eBooks: problem with targets containing too many entries (e.g. NetLibrary, 130.000)
- Ex Libris CRM:
- support incidents are not prioritized in any transparent way
- there are no known processing guidelines
- processing takes very long
- SFXOpenURL Link Resolver - Verde: data required at different points of time (Verde: acquisition, SFXOpenURL Link Resolver: availability)
- KBKoninklijke Bibliotheek update frequency (is once per month enough?) - KBKoninklijke Bibliotheek updates include considerable manual work
- how about KBKoninklijke Bibliotheek update on demand (without fixed cycles)? - problem: consortial systems
- Herr Heiming: SI backwork until middle of year - no regional KBKoninklijke Bibliotheek support teams, Ex Libris Deutschland may re-consider the topic
Stefan Lohrum gave an overview on the results of a user survey carried out for the KOBV portal. Results: results:
- frequent comment: unstructured, not intuitive (especially federated search)
- (only) 17% registered users
- profile of library portal not defined clearly
- number of resources and quick sets reduced
- help texts on page
- otherwise less text
- direct access, fewer clicks
- hotline phone number
- good checking of duplicates
- good ranking
Mario Kowalak presented the measurements taken and planned by the FUFreie Universität Berlin Berlin to promote their portal, e.g. by developing some strong metaphors to stress out the specific strengths (desktop, swiss army knife). The scope of the FUFreie Universität Berlin portal: high quality databases which the user showed an interest in. MetaLib is not
- an archive
- a resource management system for electronic resources
- only a metasearch engine, but also a resource discovery tool, personalization features, etc.
Another trend is to bring the portal services to the working environment of the end-users and to make the services harvestable via search engines (e.g. by generating static resources pages from the metalib ckb records). Further web 2.0 services (rss feeds, coins support) are envisioned.
Session 6: Wechsel von MAB2 zu MARC21
Frau Scholz (hbz) / Herr Wilhelm (UBA): Anforderungen aus bibliothekarischer Sicht
- Deutsche Nationalbibliothek plans to provide norm data in Marc21 from mid/end 2008 onwards. There will be a transition phase while both exchange formats gonna be delivered
- Prior to this meeting, on Wednesday, a meeting of the AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris consortias discussed the upcoming change of format and cataloging rules from MABMaschinelles Austauschformat für Bibliotheken/RAK to MARCMAchine-Readable Cataloging/AACR. They agreed to move for MARC21 as their internal data format as well.
- benefit: internationalization
- continue current workflows and functionalities
- preserve title links via IDNR number
Frau Straub: Erfahrungen: Informationsverbund Deutsch-Schweiz
- Switzerland changed to MARC21, they even find various appropriate manner to handle multivolume bundles
- KIDS has been developed to implement the AACR2 cataloging rules.
Frau Thede (ExLibris):
- integration of system providers not before 09.2007 (DNBDeutsche Nationalbibliothek workshop)
- MABMaschinelles Austauschformat für Bibliotheken - MARCMAchine-Readable Cataloging synopsis not completed
- MARC21 already available in AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris, MAB2 will be continued
- grant compatibility of union catalogs/local opacs at system level
- link related titles using LKR (= AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris-specific) field
- MARC21 field usage depends on local cataloguing conventions
Session 5: SFXOpenURL Link Resolver / MetaLib / Verde: Aktuelle Entwicklungen
Stefan Lohrum (KOBV): z39.50-Monitoring für MetaLib - cancelled
Konrad Heiming (ExLibris): MetaLib/SFXOpenURL Link Resolver/Verde Update
- MetaLib 3 will be supported until June 2008
- SFXOpenURL Link Resolver
- March 2008: Delivery of an enhanced AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris PlugIn which checks for the holdings (instead of the journal only)
- Q3 2008: Release of new SFXOpenURL Link Resolver admin tool with an workflow based and more intuitive interface (wizards) - as well as more sophisticated import options (e.g. Elsevier import, sms?) and online management of multi-language support
- Further development: Deeper integration of SFXOpenURL Link Resolver with Primo in Java/JBOSS with Oracle as database system. SFXOpenURL Link Resolver alone will stay on an mySQL instance synchronized from the central Oracle knowledgebase.
- Release Verde 3 planned for 2008, e.g. with revision history of resource activation.
Session 7: Interoperability
Matthias Groß und Mathias Kratzer (BVBBibliotheksverbund Bayern): Interoperabilität zwischen ALEPHIntegrated Library System by ExLibris 500 und DigiTool
- link to digitool in AlephIntegrated Library System by ExLibris z403 expand
- synchronization of data to both directions, via external database instance (one for each system) for harvesting
- frequency of exports and harvesting has been optimized
Konrad Heiming (ExLibris): Synchronisation der Bestände: EZBElektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek/ZDBZeitschriftendatenbank/VERDE
- EZBElektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek - SFXOpenURL Link Resolver: SMS (Smart Mapping Service)
- must be licensed as a service (recommended: once every 2 months)
- currently not available as a tool, but will be integrated in the SFXOpenURL Link Resolver admin interface (announced for Q3.2008)
- estimated efficiency: 95 - 98%
- problems pointed out by users
- a great deal of manual work is caused by wrong assignments (journal package - provider)
- check file suggests only one type of mapping (alternative: suggest all possibilities, remember selection)
- lack of documentation, "black box"
- Verde - EZBElektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek: under construction
- use of ISSNInternational Standard Serial Number and provider URLs to identify items in EZBElektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek
- batch, not online interface
- based on Onix protocol
- identification by Bibliothekssigel
- export file per Verde instance
- available by end of Q1/2008
Session 8: Corporate Update & Primo
Marc Daubach (Ex Libris): Ex Libris Corporate Update
- positive buzzwords
- interoperability, open interfaces
- flexibility, scalability
- differenciation, collaboration
- eScienceEnhanced Science, eLearning
- negative buzzwords
- "silos" (dead end systems)
Dr. Torsten Schulz: Die Bibliothek kommt zum Nutzer
- libraries have lost exclusiveness in the field of information services
- users rely on web services
- users still trust in high quality content and data quality as provided by libraries
- consequence: separation of user experience and backend systems
Links and References
- http://www.vdb-online.org/landesverbaende/sw/berichte/2002-fortbildung-stuttgart/troxler.pdf - Erfahrungen des IDS mit KIDS